Sunday, August 19, 2012

The O'Briens Invade Iceland!


         For those of you who don't know, my parents celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary this month. Did you catch that? 40 years of marriage!! Whoa, what an accomplishment! My sisters and I knew that such a monumental occasion called for an extraordinary celebration. And after a bit of brainstorming and family teamwork, we decided a trip to Iceland was the perfect way to commemorate their big milestone! For me, it was a win-win situation. I get to see them earlier than expected, and I have the pleasure of showing them around the country that I've come to love! 

        Tickets were booked. The itinerary was planned. Bags were packed and, before I knew it, their seven day trip to Iceland had begun! I could hardly believe they were actually here, in Iceland, with me! Their arrival brought an array of emotions, dominated by happiness and an eagerness to share everything about this place that I could! They no longer had to use my pictures and Skype conversations to imagine where life has brought me. It was theirs to experience!

      The unforgettable scenic phenomena, the excitement of new adventures, and the time shared with lovely people made for the perfect celebration we were looking for. Thank you to everyone who helped make the trip a success! I've gathered my favorite photos to help share my parents' Icelandic adventure, and hopefully you, too, will someday be able to take your own pictures of this beautiful country! 

The invasion adventure begins!
Day 1: After arriving in Keflavik, we headed straight for downtown Reykjavik. Our first stop, Viðey Island. The island is mostly known for its peaceful atmosphere and collection of artwork including the Imagine Peace Tower designed and built by Yoko Ono, the widow of Beatle John Lennon.



I told you the place was known for its peaceful nature! 

      We headed home to Selfoss for a bite to eat at a local cafe. From there I went to soccer practice while my parents settled into their apartment. Torfi and Svava invited us to a delicious home cooked dinner where we spent the evening chatting, laughing, and enjoying each other's company. Spending the evening with both my parents and my Icelandic family was an indescribable joy! I pray there are many more to come!





Day Two began with a bike tour around downtown Reykjavik. It lasted almost four hours and was filled with lots of interesting bits of Icelandic historical and cultural information. 

   

         After the thorough journey around Reykjavik, we headed downtown to one of my favorite places for lunch - The Laundromat Cafe. With homemade chocolate butter for our bread, a plate full of breakfast foods, and a fun atmosphere, are you surprised it's one of my favorite spots? Special thanks to Torfi and Svava for introducing me to the place!


     The worst rain storm of the summer was forecasted to hit today, but luckily held out until early evening. It gave us just enough time to get in the Blue Lagoon! Like my parents, this was my first trip to the Blue Lagoon despite having lived here for over three months. From the moment I stepped in, I knew I'd be back! The warm, salty water and overall atmosphere made it probably the only outdoor activity still enjoyable during what I termed the Icelandic hurricane! THAT is how awesome the Blue Lagoon is! Our favorite spot was a powerful waterfall that gave perfect shoulder massages. We definitely spent more than our fair share of time enjoying it! Thanks to the poor weather, we almost had the place to ourselves!

        Hamboragarafabrikkan, the Hamburger Factory, marked our next stop. I'd received lots of great reviews, but I had yet to try it. Although my solo rendition of Happy Anniversary just wasn't up to par without the usual gang, we left very pleased after a tasty dinner and a fun filled day exploring Iceland!


Day 3: Off to the waterfalls we go! Our first stop, Seljalandsfoss.



Followed by Skógafoss.






                                          
                   

At the top of the waterfall
        It just so happened that both my parents and Nicole's mom booked their trips to Iceland for the same week! So, we met up with Nicole, her mom, and her mom's friend for a group lunch at a restaurant known for their lobster soup. It was a great choice, with great company!



         Ásdís' long awaited 4th birthday party had finally arrived My parents and I made the guest list and before long we were enjoying yet another family dinner! Ásdís is rather shy when it comes to photos, so I had to sneak a picture of her in her birthday dress! Needless to say, my parents and I had a wonderful time sharing the evening and celebrating Ásdís' day with my adoptive family! The fun atmosphere, kind and outgoing company, good food, and all around great time made us feel right at home.

Day 4:  You may remember one of my very first blogs describing my visit to Þingvellir on Easter. It's one of my favorite spots here in Iceland, so you can bet it was on my parents' itinerary! 




       We aimed to go whale watching, but because of poor weather the trip was cancelled. Instead, we enjoyed a picnic in the city center in downtown Reykjavik. 

Day 5:  We finished the Golden Circle route by visiting the powerful Gullfoss and Geysir. Words cannot describe the breathless Icelandic sights!

Geysir


Gullfoss

       To top it off, we played Valur at home. There is nothing like having your biggest fans in the stands!

Sign advertising our game!

Áfram Selfoss!

Day 6 - We traveled along the southern coast of Iceland to take a boat ride to see Jökulsárlón up close and personal. Jökulsárlón is the largest glacier in Iceland, and according to our tour guide, it will be gone in the next 60 years if it continues to melt at its current rate. More unbelievable than that surprising detail were the breathtaking sights of the beautifully blue and white hued icebergs and the incredible surrounding landscape. 



         We made it back in time for my dad to go horseback riding with Torfi's father and his friend. The Icelandic horse is a unique breed that has been compared to "driving a Ferrari." 
My dad following Siggy's lead
            We spent their last night enjoying a magnificent Icelandic meal and a wonderful evening at Torfi and Svava's. Siggy and Dísa (Torfi's parents), Nicole and her group of family and friends (three more arrived a few days prior), along with my parents and I, made for a one-of-a-kind dinner party! I wish I had taken a picture of the decadent table before we dug in, because in my opinion it deserved an award! However, I made certain we got a family photo! 

My families together!

   Following the family dinner, my dad and I took a late night hike up Ingólfsfjell. The nearby mountain offers a challenging climb, but the view from the top overlooking Selfoss is worth every step! 

On our way to sign Ingólfsfjell's Gestabók! 

      I think it's safe to say that my parents had a trip of a lifetime - or at least 40 years of marriage! I'm thankful that I was lucky enough to be a part of their celebration. Being able to share who and what I love about Iceland with my beloved parents is an inexplainable feeling. Perhaps you'll just have to interpret the smiles on our faces! 

No comments:

Post a Comment