Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wonderful Waterfalls: Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss


      After a rainy and very cold (and victorious) game on Saturday, Sunday brought the first taste of summer. Torfi and Svava recognized the good weather so off sight seeing we went! The four member family I moved in with has nearly doubled in the past month. Nicole, my teammate at USF, arrived in Iceland over three weeks ago and will be playing for Selfoss this summer, too. Melanie, a Texas native, made her way to Selfoss about a week ago and is the third and final American playing for Selfoss this season. Svava and Torfi housed all three of us for a couple of nights.  I'm not sure how, but they seem still sane and full of smiles! 

      Torfi, Svava, Emilía, Ásdís, Emilia's friend, and the three Americans piled in the cars and hit the road to see the sights of Iceland!  We traveled down the southern coast of Iceland, heading for a famous waterfall called Seljalandsfoss. Our first glimpse of the masterpiece was a small white band, striping the end of the mountains in the far distance. As we approached the falls, its enormity and picturesque qualities were undeniably visible. The ability for viewers to walk behind the falls makes Seljalandsfoss unique. We got a full 360 degree view of the cascading water! Although I have to admit, the path behind the falls wasn't as sunny and peaceful as admiring the waterfall from the front. The constant crashing of water and wind gusting both air and water towards us made for a bit of a wild walk, or maybe even hike. Nonetheless, being so close and witnessing the spectacle from all angles made for a memorable experience. You may even recognize it as a site in the first leg of The Amazing Race 6. If not, 
I think we can all agree it's beyond amazing.

Melanie, Nicole Emilia, Inga, and I behind Seljalandsfoss!
The sights and sounds behind the waterfall

         Our next stop left us in admiration at another Icelandic beauty, known as Skógafoss. This waterfall is positioned on the southern coast of Iceland and used to mark the former sea line. Many years has moved the coastline about three miles from the famous fall. Skógafoss and its neighboring cliffs, run parallel to the North Atlantic Ocean shore line and distinguish the coastal lowlands from the Highlands of Iceland. The remarkable sight stands about 200 feet tall and 82 feet wide. With those statistics, it's no surprise that Skógafoss rivals the massive Gullfoss of the Golden Circle (My visit to Gullfoss is described in the post titled The Golden Circle Part II). 


        The massive stature undoubtedly reveals Skógafoss' powerful qualities, but the delicate design displayed in front of the fall is really what grabs my attention. As we approach the falls, two beautiful rainbows stretch across the width of the waterfall in perfect synchronization. The scene was stunning. The spectrum of colors in the form of a bow reminded me of words from Genesis 9. In reference to a rainbow, verse 9 reads: "God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.” With these promising words running through my mind, I look at this breathtaking sight with feelings of awe, thankfulness, forgiveness, and undoubted assurance of the Lord's promise for all mankind. Whew! What a feeling!


Emilia and I in front of Skógafoss' rainbows

         The information panel told about a giant Viking by the name of Þrasi Þórólfsson who settled in Skógar and who supposedly hid a chest of gold behind the waterfall. The legend goes on to say that the chest was discovered, but only the handle was in reach and taken before the chest disappeared again. The handle was given to a church, and now, it's the pride of a local museum, validating the chest of gold that's hidden in the waterfall's caves, beyond man's grasp.


        Skógafoss is one of many waterfalls along a popular hiking trail that goes throughout the highlands. We took the steep path up the mountain to see Skógafoss at it's peak. It was quite a climb, but the view was definitely worth it!


The view from the top of Skógafoss

The Top of the Watefall


         Although we had already visited the tourist attractions for the day, I can't help but share the memorable sights from the ride back to Selfoss, too. I viewed the peaceful scene of the sunkissed Atlantic Ocean to my left, and the mountainous landscape with pearly white glaciers  touching the fluffy clouds to my right. The divine panorama reminded me again of the Artist behind it all.




         I recently listened to a sermon about rainbows given by one of my favorite pastors, Dr. Bob Bushong. His sermon titled, The Promise of a Rainbow, offers great insight on the passage I referenced earlier. I enjoyed the sermon, and with the sights of Skógafoss, I felt it appropriate to attach the link below. I hope you enjoy it, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment