Friday, April 20, 2012

He is Risen! Easter in Iceland


           As my previous posts have made obvious, this particular Easter weekend hasn't matched my usual traditions. Needless to say, this Easter Sunday didn't start by waking early to attend the sunrise service at my church in Winter Park, followed by digging into my chocolate and peep-filled Easter basket. Instead I got to experience my newest family's Easter traditions and lucky for me, chocolate, great home cooking, and time spent in the company of family held a part in their Easter routine, too! 

          Unlike the common American custom, the children of Iceland don't expect sweets from the magical creature we call the Easter Bunny. Instead, they expect their very own chocolate Easter egg cleverly hidden by their parents. However, they must follow clues leading them to their prized chocolate; it's an Easter scavenger hunt! Luckily, I woke up just in time for Emilia and Ásdis to start their search. The first clue read (in Icelandic of course) something along the lines of, "This object holds Dad's bum and is his favorite color." The girls quickly ran to Torfi's dining room table chair, finding the next clue. Not only did they find details about the next hint's location in the note, but it described an activity they must complete before moving on.  This pattern continued around the house where I got to watch Emilia and Ásdis sing a popular Icelandic song, pump out some push ups, jump on one foot, and crunch out some sit ups to name a few of the morning's activities. Little did I know how easy I had it with my Easter basket sitting on the fireplace just waiting for me to enjoy! Before too long, the final clue led them into the garage where Emilia handed out an Easter egg to each of us - even one for me! My very first Icelandic Easter Egg! Woo! Still being unfamiliar with how the whole process works, I stepped back, observed how to properly open my egg, and took a few pictures before enjoying my beautifully decorated, mouth watering Easter chocolate! 

 

My first Icelandic Easter egg. The contents being emptied, and finally, ready to enjoy!

         I'm not sure if it was the Easter spirit or the overdose of chocolate, but Emilia felt surprisingly courageous this morning and offered to play her guitar for us (despite her previous, shyness-filled refusal a few days earlier). Her timidness washed away as she graced us with a few numbers and a beautiful performance! Shortly after, Ásdis joined in the fun as she strummed on her pretty pink guitar and everyone (who knew the Icelandic songs) sang along! It wasn't my typical Sunday worship service, but I definitely enjoyed it! 


The Rift Valley
The top of the path is closed due to the most recent separation.

       Although not an Easter tradition, Torfi and Svava decided to take me to experience another Golden Circle site. Another famous Icelandic tourist spot,  Þingvellir (pronounced something like "thing-vetl-ear") National Park is known as the birthplace of Parliament and marks the largest natural lake in Iceland, called Þingvallavatn. Additionally, the crest of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is marked by the rift valley at Þingvellir. In fact, part of the park was closed off due to further separation in the valley that recently occurred. 

Emilia and I in front of the waterfall before the drop.

        A river runs through the park and forms a waterfall, which quickly caught my eye. Its small size gave it more peaceful and personal qualities compared to the massive measures of Gullfoss. Þingvellir marks a social and parliamentary landmark of Icelandic culture. Annually, people used to come from across the country and camp on the land for the two week long legislative assembly. In addition to the judicial activities, games were played, goods and services were sold, and news was shared among the people. Þingvellir became known for laying the foundation for the language and literature of the country.


      Furthermore, the tectonic plates of the large lake created a particular rift, offering some of the best snorkeling and diving terrain in the world. The crystal clear water allows visibility for between 150-300 meters, and the geography enables divers to literally swim between continents. The view from land doesn't do it justice, but until I get my snorkeling license, these pictures will have to do!





        Especially on such an important holiday, thoughts of my family were frequent. I found myself guessing what they would be doing, where they would be, based on the hour and our usual Easter traditions. Then it occurred to me that, for two years in a row I haven't made the famous family Easter picture. (Last year I spent Easter with one of my closest friends, Gaby, and her family in Dallas, Texas.)  So, with Torfi, Svava, and the girls' cooperation, we posed for our very own family Easter picture! Unfortunately, no one had to run to beat the camera's timer, which Unc-Unc has so gracefully mastered. However, I think you'll agree that the background is hard to beat!



Easter Sunday 2012: Torfi, Svava, Emilia, Ásdis, and I

 

      Our final plans of the day led us out to Torfi's parent's summer house for a family holiday dinner. For those of you who know me well, the words "summer house" take me to the fresh sights and smells of the Smoky Mountains of Lake Junaluska. Their summer house didn't have quite the same scenery, but I definitely felt major similarities. The house resembled that of a log cabin with big windows to see the outdoors - now brown from the winter, but soon to be filled with green vegetation. We climbed up the mountain in the backyard to view the vast landscape and get some fresh air. Inside the house the rooms were cozy, filled with comfortable sitting space for family members to talk and laugh, enjoying each other's company. The smell and taste of delicious home cooking, the sounds of the youngins playing around the house, and the entertaining conversation cracking smiles certainly was anything but foreign to me. The language, the location, the landscape may be far from what I'm used to, but the gathering of family in this fashion brings me close to home. I hope family and friends both close and far enjoyed their celebration of the resurrection of our Savior; I certainly did. Gleþilega Páska! (Happy Easter!)


No comments:

Post a Comment