Thursday, April 26, 2012

From Sunny Florida to Snowy Selfoss


        Remember my first blog post? The Land of Ice, Ice Baby? Well, it's still true, there's less ice than most would guess. However, ice's opaque, softer cousin made a memorable appearance. On Saturday, April 14, I experienced my first Icelandic snow day! As soon as I saw the white covered terrain out of my bedroom window, I popped out of bed with a huge smile on my face! Then it hit me - practice is in an hour. Out there. In the snow. 


Selfossvöllur - UMF Selfoss' Home Field

       I've been repeatedly reassured summer's on her way, with warm temperatures arriving soon. However, having experienced Florida's heat, I recognize that "warm temperatures" to Icelanders likely vary from the 90 degree Fahrenheit temperatures of the Sunshine State. Nonetheless, I've been looking forward to warmer days, when I can wear fewer layers of clothing. Despite the many forecasts of warm weather, this snowy morning (the only one since I've been here) happened to fall on the only morning practice. Hmm, how timely. 


My First Practice in the Snow! Do I look cold?
                       


     







                   


        













              After about five minutes of enjoying the snow covered field and picturesque landscape, I learned firsthand that Floridians practicing in the snow isn't the best combination. My toes are not conditioned for being in ice-cold water, AND required to function?! I know my frozen feet wouldn't have cooperated properly if I tried to do any technical work with the ball, so I was glad the practice didn't involve using soccer balls. I don't think that's ever been a positive before now (practice without the balls usually signifies a strictly fitness practice). 
       I'm happy to say that I survived, never having appreciated a warm hot shower as much as I did that day! Despite my cold toes and stiff joints, I'm thankful for the snowy experience, my first practice in the snow, ever! Now, bring on the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment