Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Áfram Selfoss! Go Selfoss!



         I’ve documented and shared many of my experiences here in Iceland, but I realize I’ve been skimpy on the details about what actually brought me here – soccer.  Pretty cool, huh? I certainly think so. I’ve been here over three months, and I still find myself in disbelief that I’m living my dream – playing professional soccer.

"See you at the field this summer"
The Selfoss post card we received in the mail!
        So, I think it’s about time to share a little bit about my team and my rookie season as a professional footballer.  I play for the Icelandic club called Ungmennafélag Selfoss, more commonly referred to as UMF Selfoss. The athletic club hosts a multitude of sporting teams including handball, Tae Kwon Do, gymnastics, swimming, Judo, Motocross, weightlifting, and track and field.

Most of the team before our game in Westman Islands

Before my first professional game
        This season marks the men and women’s soccer teams’ first time playing in the Premier Division, called the Pepsi Deildin. Last year, both teams ranked at the top of the second highest league called First Division. This earned their first appearance in Pepsi Deildin – the highest league in the country.  Moving up meant facing more experienced teams, a higher level of play, and ultimately, the greatest players in the country. Thinking of ways to improve their chances of staying in the league, the club decided to recruit international players, another first for the women’s team. Thankfully, I was one of three Americans chosen to play for UMF Selfoss this summer. Nicole McClure, a teammate of mine at USF, also made her professional debut here at Selfoss. Melanie Adelman, a Houston, Texas native, joined us in May after she completed her final collegiate semester. With a season full of firsts, I think it’s safe to say it’s not a rookie season just for us, but the club, too.

My goal celebration :)
        Considering the preseason polls – which predicted we would earn zero points this entire season – I think it’s safe to say we’ve already proved many people wrong.  In our first five games we earned seven points, and I managed to score five goals. Since then we’ve struggled to earn points, but learning experiences have been in abundance.  With only half the season in the books, more points are still to come! Our ultimate goal, remaining in the Premier Division, is still in sight! Áfram Selfoss!


3 comments:

  1. Hi!!! I met your parents during a flight between Atlanta to New York last week. They were heading for Iceland. Your parents were very nice. I loved your blog because I am planning to travel to Iceland next year. I have a question, do you know if it´s a good option to travel to Iceland on winter? I mean, is it possible to do outdoor activities? Thanks for your answer.

    Greetings from Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm glad you are enjoying my blog! My parents mentioned meeting you and were hoping to get in contact with you via the web. Some of my teammates actually think the winter is the BEST time of year to visit Iceland. It's the best time to witness Iceland's uniqueness and look forward to outdoor activities unavailable during other months. I've never been here during the winter, but I'm relaying what they have shared. I hope this helps and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip no matter what season you go!

      Delete