Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Golden Circle Part I


           As I mentioned in my previous post, I spent Good Friday as a typical tourist, seeing the sights Iceland has to offer. However, I guarantee my experience greatly exceeded your average tour, thanks to my wonderful company. So before I continue, let me introduce my tour guides, better known as my newly adoptive family. Torfi and Svava are the parents of eight year old Emilia, and three year old Ásdis. They live and work here and are involved with my new team, UMF Selfoss; Svava has played for the team for a number of years. They have generously opened their home to me and have very kindly welcomed me into their family. They are lovely people and a family you'll learn much more about as my time here continues.

Kerið

          We headed out on our first "family (of five) road trip" to see the sites along what's known as the Golden Circle. There are about six stops along the route that people from all over the world come to enjoy. Our first pit stop was Kerið, which is Icelandic for basin. Originally, the 180-foot deep, 560-foot wide, and 890-foot across crater was thought to be the result of a volcanic eruption. However, volcanologists found no evidence of ash remains, eliminating that possibility. It is now believed to have been a large scoria crater, where the emptying of a magma chamber beneath the crater likely caused a collapse, leaving what we see today. The bottom of the crater is filled with water and its levels change dependent on the water table. Kerið's natural amphitheater-like shape spurred the idea of using it as a concert venue, which turned out to be a success! I say I steal the idea and turn the Grand Canyon into a concert hall!

My closest attempt to getting the full crater in a single picture

          Geysir (pronounced something along the lines of "gay-sir") was our second destination of the day. You guessed it, a geyser it is! There are two specific geysers at this particular location: "Geysir" and "Strokkur." They both are part of the Haukadalur geothermal area, but only Strokkur continues to erupt about every 10 minutes or so.


Torfi and Emilia (and I) patiently awaiting Strokkur´s eruption

Blue colored hot springs

            In addition to geysers, pools of hot water from the Earth's core sat displaying an array of blue hues below the surface. Geothermal areas like this one cover the island and constantly release steam. Not only do they provide an interesting sight, but the steam is stored and used to supply the entire country's energy demands. The contrast of boiling water and steam combined with the snow covered mountains in the background made for a one-of-a-kind, kind of view. This sight was the first of many that validated why the Golden Circle is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Iceland. 

While admiring other springs, I was able to quickly snap a picture of Strokkur shooting high! 

          Our next stop was Gullfoss. In my opinion, it is the most majestic site of the Golden Circle and deserves a blog of its own. So, stay tuned for more details about this incredible waterfall and the rest of my unique Good Friday adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment